Guides to the Surroundings

In the near surroundings you can find a number of interesting tourist destinations which are worth visiting. On this page you can find the nearest and most interesting tips.

Milotice Castle

Milotice Castle with a park, of which the final shape was given in 18th century, creates a dominant feature of the village.

Originally Renaissance castle from the second half of 16th century, which was rebuilt between 1720 and 1725 in the baroque style, had its predecessor in the Gothic water fortress. Today´s visitor can take a look round the sophistically composed whole of the castle grounds with a honourable courtyard, riding school, stable, two orangeries, French park and adjoining pheasantry. Castle installations are supplemented with seasonal exhibitions every year. At the present time there is a gallery of wines for sale. Concerts and other events, which are regularly held in the castle, create a part of social life of the village. The castle is connected with a folk tale about a black countess from Milotice.

More information on:

Museum of History And Geography in Kyjov

The museum has a seat in the oldest building of the town. It was built by Jan Kuna of Kunštát round 1540.

As a mansion it served for only a few years, later there was probably a vicarage, then barracks, hospital and school. In 1911 the building was renovated and provided with graffiti by Jan Köhler with the scenes of Kyjov´s history. The artist´s portrait is placed there too. Since 1928 the building has served as a museum. Visitors can have a look at permanent expositions: archeological, historical, geographical and of natural science. New exposition The Nature of Kyjov Region presents collections relating to natural science using a large-area diorama.

More information on

Baťa´s Canal

The shipping lane Baťa´s Canal was built between 1934 and 1938. For his intention to transport lignite from Rohatec to the power plant in Otrokovice, Baťa took advantage of the regulation of the river Morava with improvements for irrigation.

The countries of Morava and Silesia and Baťa company joined forces and constructed a waterway 51km long, out of which 27km follow the river Morava and the rest goes through the artificially built canal. To overcome the difference in altitude of the water levels there were built 14 locks (today 13). Shipping worked till 1945, then it ended because of the war. After repairs the shipping was re-established and worked till 1961. Nowadays the canal is open only for tourist and sports voyages.

More information on:

Moravian Wine Trails

Clearly marked network of cycling trails will lead you through quiet meanders of the river Morava, busy medieval towns, picturesque villages and areas with wine cellars where local wine makers produce outstanding wines.

The wine cycling trails offer ten properly sign-posted cycling loops which will lead you through ten wine-growing areas of South Morava. You can join the Kyjov Wine Trail right at Bukovany Mill.

More information on:

Hodonín ZOO

Hodonín ZOO is situated in pleasant surroundings of alluvial forrest in the suburbs of Hodonín. It lies on a seven-hectare area of parks and water expanses.

It was founded as a small ZOO in 1975 with a number of several species of domestic animals, during the period of the last 25 years it was reconstructed into a standard ZOO. The modern ZOO, adapted for the needs of animals, developed from gradual reconstruction of already existing pavilions and from building the new ones. Currently there are bred over 500 pieces of both our and exotic animals in more than 140 species. The ZOO breeds over 70 endangered species of the world fauna. Of precious species the visitors can see chimpanzees, lemurs, clawed monkeys, gibbons, a collection of exotic birds, Ussuri tigers, zebras, camels, sharks and many others. To make the visit in the ZOO even more agreeable, there were built several children´s playgrounds, stands with refreshments, a gift shop, a place for cultural events, etc.

More information on:

Open-air Museum in Strážnice

On extensive grounds of the complex you can find a model of inhabited landscape with a settlement of Kopanice, villages of the regions Luhačovické Zálesí, Horňácko and Dolňácko. A number of haylofts and wine-growers´ cellars and huts are present too.

On the grounds of the open-air museum there is also a workshop for producing blueprint fabric which follows the tradition of dye-manufacturing in Strážnice. There are 65 objects in all. Expositions situated in some of the objects acquaint visitors with the way of life of people both from mountainous parts of Moravian Slovakia and fruitful parts of the region near the river Morava where a big part of farming is based on wine growing. A display of viticulture buildings and their equipment, which is supplemented with a vineyard presenting wine growing since the oldest times till these days, is the only exposition of that type in our country. Handicraft production is represented by a blacksmithery from Lipov and weaving workshop from Nová Lhota in Horňácko, technical water structures are represented by a horizontal saw from Čerešník´s Mills in Horňácko. A very interesting and ancient object is the entrance building of the museum which was built in 1612 and rebuilt in the baroque style. Originally there was a brewery, today there is a stylish restaurant in one part of the building. Every year ethnographic programmes are held on the grounds of the museum – eg. maypole putting up, harvest home, presenting handmade techniques, events for children and the last weekend in June it always becomes an attractive environment for the programmes of the International Folklore Festival Strážnice.

More information on:

Wine Cellars Plže in Petrov

It is a unique set of original wine cellars from the 18th and 19th century which was in 1983 declared a rural conservation area as the first one in the Czech Republic.

The wine-growing village of Petrov lies approximately 2km southwest of Strážnice on the river-bank of Baťa´s Canal.

More information on:

Slavonic Ancient Settlement in Mikulčice

Significant place in the first state formation of ancient Slavs in our territory - the Great Moravian Empire - undoubtedly belonged to the ancient marsh settlement Valy near Mikulčice which, according to some experts, might have been the capital called Morava in a certain period of time.

Thanks to the systematic research,Valy near Mikulčice became the largest prehistoric site in our republic. Since 1954 there have been uncovered over 2500 graves situated in the neighbourhood of twelve stone churches from the 12th century. There were discovered thousands of different objects of daily use, pottery, jewellery, weapons and ten-metre long oak boats which have stayed miraculously preserved for eleven centuries under a three-metre deep layer of constantly humid earth. Recently there have been discovered another early medieval burial site on the other side of Mikulčice. In the Memorial, which has been in care of Masaryk´s Museum in Hodonín since 1987, everyone is provided with a guide´s commentary.

More informtion on:

Kuželov Windmill

The windmill stands on a forest-free ridge of the White Carpathians southeast over the village of Kuželov.

The windmill in Kuželov is one of a few well-preserved windmills to the present day. It represents windmills of so-called Dutch type. It was probably built in 1842 and for more than a hundred years it served to farmers of Kuželov, Hrubá Vrbka and other villages. In 1946 its functioning ended completely. In 1973 it was assigned to the administration of Technical Museum in Brno which carried out its reconstruction and renovation. The windmill was put into functional state again but only as a museum exhibit. The whole complex is left in the original environment with preserved original architecture which makes the exemplary operation possible. In the nearby residential and agricultural buildings there is an exposition of living in Horňácko and of the local way of small farming at the turn of the 19th and 20th century. There is an exhibition of agricultural kit and machinery documenting traditional agricultural manufacturing processes. A part of the exposition is created by a display of several tools which were used to maintain the machinery of the windmill which was usually carried out by the miller himself.

More information on:

Buchlov Castle

This significant roayal castle stands on one of the highest peaks of the Chřiby Mountains over the village of Buchlovice.

Its origin dates from the first half of the 13th century. The oldest part of the castle is the prismatic sanctuary tower with thick walls. Then followed the residential palace connected with another prismatic tower on the other side. The last extension was carried out by Jan Ždánský of Zástřizly during the Renaissance rebuilding between 1540 and 1558. In the 17th century the castle was touched by some baroque adaptations. The castle kept its original medieval appearance thanks to the fact that in the 19th century the Berchtold dynasty transformed the castle into a family museum open to the public. In the interiors there is an exposition of original furnishings documenting the development of housing culture from the 15th to the 19th century and a rich collection of natural science. Apart from the residential and other rooms, large collections of natural science, the outlook tower and the library, it is possible to have a look into the tomb of the last castle owners in the nearby chapel of St. Barbora. The chapel is to be found on the neighbouring hill approximately 1km far from the castle.

More information on:

Buchlovice Castle

The castle was built in the Italian baroque style and its origin goes back to the turn of the 17th and the 18th century. It is a unique architectural complex with sumptuous stucco and fresco decorations in the castle interiors.

The castle with low baroque cupolas is divided by the courtyard into two separate semicircle buildings with honourable yards. Both yards create a circular courtyard with a stony fountain in the middle. In the lower castle, which was built as the first one before 1707, there is a representative two-storey hall with frescos whose theme is natural elements, seasons of the year and mythology. The contemporary appearance of the castle comes from the second half of the 1920s. The castle surroundings are adorned with a large English park presenting one of the most important historic collections of greenery in the Czech Republic. Both the garden and the park were created gradually with the castle costruction from the beginning of the 18th century. At the very end of the park there is a pavilion with the exhibition of fuchsias. On the grounds of the castle there are organized cultural events, in summer months there is held a unique exhibition of fuchsias and there is also a castle vinotheque.

More information on:

Velehrad Monastery

Velehrad, a place belonging to the most significant places of pilgrimage in Moravia, is above all connected with the tradition of St. Cyril and Methodius.

The cult of Slavonic apostles, co-patrons of Europe, St. Cyril and Methodius, makes Velehrad known far across the borders of our state. As far back as the Middle Ages (at the turn of the 13th and 14th century) Velehrad was linked with the metropolis of the first Great Moravian archbishop St. Methodius and politico-administrative centre of the Great Moravian Empire in the 9th century. The origin of contemporary Velehrad goes back to the beginning of the 13th century when the first Cistercian monastery in Moravia was founded. One part of the monastery complex is created by the originally Romanesque basilica of the Assumption of the Virgin with the foundations from the beginning of the 13th century which belonged to the greatest and most beautiful buildings of the late Romanesque and early Gothic period in our territory.

More information on:

The Chřiby Mountains

A beautiful tourist area which has its place in the tourist industry not only in South Moravia but in the whole Czech Republic.

The diversity of natural beauties, the charm of local fauna and flora and remarkable connection between nature and history can be seen right here. The area is not large but creates a very interesting, attractive and sometimes mysterious and mythical range of mountains backgrounded by the rich past. The Chřiby Mountains are interlaced with a dense network of well marked hiking trails usable also as trails for mountain bikes and in winter for cross-country skiing. The mountain range has a lot of interesting tourist attractions: the ruins of Cimburk Castle, the ancient settlement of St. Kliment, rock formations – Kozel, the Komín Rocks, Břestek Rock, Buchlov Castle

More information on:

Other attractive tourist destinations

Below is more interesting tips.

The area of Lednice and Valtice – UNESCO monument
The protected landscape area of Pálava
The protected landscape area of the White Carpathians
The battleground of Slavkov – Slavkov Castle, the Peace Memorial
The Moravian Karst